This Course Is For You If You Want To
This is a good fit if you want to:
- Understand the risk spectrum of commercial real estate investing
- Be able to identify major risks and understand how professionals mitigate them
- Grasp the real estate cycle’s contributions to the risk and opportunity equation
In this course, you will learn about the commercial real estate risk/opportunity bargain and spectrum, identify the primary risks and whether they can be mitigated, understand the magnified risk in international investing, and learn about the biggest risks of all, including that of operating within the real estate cycle.
- How to lose money in real estate
- The spectrum of risk in CRE investing
- The tactics of risk mitigation
- Structuring commercial real estate leases to mitigate risk
- Risks common to all assets
- Risks unique to ground-up development
- Risks unique to investing across borders
- The real estate cycle
- Market crashes
This is a slide presentation course with an associated multiple choice quiz. You will watch the video and, if you choose, complete the quiz and review the answers given when the quiz is automatically graded.
The video running time is 40 minutes. Watching all the video (replaying parts where desired) and completing the quiz and reviewing the answers will take approximately 45 to 60 minutes, depending on the individual.
Through the direct experience of REFM’s principals in commercial real estate transactions, and REFM’s ongoing consulting to industry practitioners across the U.S. for the last decade, we have developed and have continually refined “The REFM Way” of teaching financial modeling.
To enhance your learning and help you to efficiently build a practical skill set, we:
- Always set the stage by providing the big picture first, and keep it at the fore with graphs and sparklines
- Speak in plain language and define industry terms on an ongoing basis
- Give you highly granular video chapter hyperlinks so you can find what you want quickly and easily.
Upon successful completion of this course, you will:
- Have gained a holistic understanding of the ideas of risk and opportunity as they relate to commercial real estate investing domestically and internationally
- Have learned about risk mitigation tactics employed in practice in the business
- Have an appreciation for the reality that some risks must simply be accepted.
What You Get
Lifetime online access to:
- An easily-navigated 40-minute video tutorial with captions available and playback controls up to 2x speed. Videos have captions available and are playable on any device including PC, Mac, phones and tablets.
- PDF file of the 33 slides presented in the video
- 10-question quiz (multiple-choice, automatically graded) and answer key.
Meet Your Instructor
Since 2009, top companies and educational institutions have trusted REFM to train thousands of their employees and students.
New to REFM training?
ASB Capital Management
CBRE Global Investors
Hodes Weill & Associates
Square Mile Capital
USAA Real Estate
CBRE Global Investors
Federal City Property
Insight Property Group
Trammell Crow Residential
Video Chapter Markers
- No losing money in real estate
- Risk/opportunity spectrum
- Mitigating risk
- Primary risks introduction – stabilized asset
- Triple Net (NNN) lease structure
- Full Service (FS) / Gross lease structure
- Vacancy and bankruptcy
- Illiquidity | natural disasters | pandemics
- Summary of risks
- Unstabilized asset
- Ground-up development risks – time and cost
- Market risks
- Construction delays and change orders
- Land price and timing
- International real estate investing risks part 1
- International real estate investing risks part 2
- Biggest risks of all
- Real estate cycles
- Challenges to reaching equilibrium
- Supply and demand
- CRE lags residential
- The last 3 office market crashes
- U.S. housing market
- Subprime history
- Global housing prices.